NATIVE WOMAN

NATIVE WOMAN
I am proud of who I am

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Not a very health-conscious fellowship.

Not a very health-conscious fellowship.Not a very health-conscious fellowship. Jul 18, '10 12:11 PM
by Andrew for everyone

Given the constant message that alcoholism was a killer illness that did untold and supposedly irreversible damage to those who fell prey to it, I was often struck by the abscence in AA meetings of any practical discussion of the importance of staying physically healthy. For example, I don't think it would be in any way controversial to suggest that it is important for ex-problem drinkers to make sure they take excercise and eat a healthy diet, the latter being especially important, and I believe understood to be so even as long ago as when AA started, even if less was known then about the specifics of how excessive drinking interfered with the melabolism of nutrients. Surely it is a matter of common sense and observation that chronically dependent drinkers become malnourished? But I don't remember issues like this being taken seriously at all in the rooms. I do remember newcomers being advised to eat lots of sugar as this was supposedly good for stopping alcohol cravings (which I believe is badly misinformed advice handed down as internal folk-wisdom in AA).

For all the absurd macho bragging from so many members about having cheated death umpteen times, I thought there was really precious little interest in getting or staying healthy even to the extent of establishing basic healthy habits.

There also seemed to be little or no concern about the prevalence of easily communicable infections amongst the addict/alcoholic community which, for instance, would probably make disposable cups at meetings sensible precaution. I don't know how easy it is to contract the various forms of hepatitis etc. which are common amongst AA members, but I did notice that disposable cups and stirrers were mandatory at meeting venues which were drop-in centres for alcoholics and addicts. Anyway, I was familiar with theslipshod standard of washing-up hygeine at meetings and wasn't keen to find out, so I inded up taking my own drinks.

Then, of course,there was all the chain-smoking...

No comments:

Post a Comment